Monday, June 4, 2012

Teachers Write! 6/4/12

This has been a whirlwind year and I have been blogging far less than I would like to. Soon, I will be writing posts reflecting on what I have been learning this year, but for now, I want to get started on Kate Messner's virtual summer writing camp.

Today's Mini-Lesson Monday is about making time for writing. Here are my plans so far for the summer:

  1. I am at a natural transition with the end of the school year coming up and also wrapping up my dissertation (almost there!). At this point, rather than cutting back, I am at the point where I am carefully considering how I will use the time that is freeing up. Writing will be at the top of the list (as well as focusing on spending time with my daughters as writers).
  2. I would like to start each day with writing. I will set my alarm for 6 a.m., starting with a goal to write for fifteen minutes but will ideally build to a half an hour to an hour. This should allow me with some time prior to my family waking up in order to savor some writing time.
  3. I will typically write at my desk in my bedroom if I need to type (my laptop recently crashed). If I am writing by hand then I will typically go to the love seat in my living room.
  4. I have not had a chance to tell family and friends face-to-face, so announcing here on my blog is the first step to sharing my new plans. That seems like a natural step though as I am used to sharing with my on-line writing community for Slice of Life Stories.
I look forward to exploring and growing as a writer. There are so many choices as far as writing topics. I look forward to the prompts that will surely stretch me as a writer. I would also like to revisit Ruth Ayres' Discover. Play. Build. posts for inspiration, and I am also planning on doing the prompts for Ali Edwards' 31 Things class in July. Then there's my YA WIP (or maybe I should say WOP - work on pause as it has taken a complete back burner once I started my doctoral program). Throughout it all I will be reflecting on implications for my 6th-8th grade students and thinking about how I can foster a sense of passion toward writing.

And now because of a thunder storm, I better turn off my computer! A perfect reason to grab my writer's notebook and head for the couch. First, I will have to click over to see the prompt on Jo Knowles' blog as part of Teachers Write!

2 comments:

  1. Glad you'll be continuing writing! You've got lots of resources ready to keep you moving along this summer! I was thinking about Ruth's blog as well. I was known to skim over the posts about crafting and setting and characters . . . because I'm not that kind of writer. Well, I'm thinking about trying something different! Looking forward to this journey together! Happy writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you are trying this too. Safety in numbers. :) It sounds like you have a ton of writing plans!

    ReplyDelete