Thursday, August 25, 2011

Shift in Gears

What's a teacher to do when the start of the school year comes but she doesn't have her own classroom? As I mentioned in earlier posts, this year is a transitional year for me as I take on a new position. Part of the sabbatical replacement that I will be doing that is starkly different from before, is that the university is on a trimester (or quarter counting summers) system and won't start classes until the end of September. That leaves me with about a month lapse between the time that my girls started school and when I will actually start classes. This is such a new experience, having both girls in school and some time to myself.

I have still been keeping busy though. Here's what I have been up to:

  • During teacher work week I still went into the school quite a bit to help the teacher who will be filling in for me this school year. I enjoyed collaborating with her and by providing suggestions based on her questions, it was an excellent means for me to continually reflect on my own practice and experiences teaching.
  • I interviewed students for the first phase of my dissertation. Again, this was another experience that prompted me to reflect. As I have been going through the process of writing memos about the data, it has been interesting to see areas that I expected, as well as some ahas. 
  • Yesterday, I ended up taking a day around the house to catch up and organize.
  • Today I will sit down to write, write, write, and write some more beginning a narrative about my journey as an educator that will form part of my dissertation. 
So while I still have plenty to do, there is a lot of flexibility - flexibility that I am enjoying for the moment. The weeks will fly and before long I will be on a more regular schedule. I will savor this time while it lasts but embrace the new as it comes.

1 comment:

  1. Enjoy this journey this year! Look forward to hearing about your change in roles.

    ReplyDelete