Saturday, March 5, 2011

Mentoring Teachers - Reading Priorities

When I met with my supervising teacher the spring before my fall of student teaching, she recommended that one of the best ways that I could prepare for working with her in a 7/8 language arts classroom was to start reading middle grades/young adult literature. I remember going into the local bookstore in my community and looking through all the beautiful covers and reading about the intriguing range of topics. Throughout the summer and into the fall in her classroom, I discovered the joys of reading MG/YA books.

Reading Donalyn Miller's post about her priorities as a mentor teacher to create space to inspire a love of reading made me think back to my own supervising teacher and how valuable that advice has been throughout my whole career. Buying various books, book talking, participating in book clubs with my students - I absolutely love teaching in a reading workshop environment.

Right now I am gearing up to teach a spring trimester children's lit course for my alma mater's local branch campus, and this summer I will be co-teaching a YA Lit course for the university where I am getting my Ed.D. I am excited about the possibilities of being able to share my love of reading and to teach a topic that I love so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment