Saturday, January 29, 2011

Technology Balance

It is interesting to stand back and see how teaching beliefs emerge, are shaped, and refined. In my first years of teaching, technology did not play a huge role. However, throughout the last couple of years I wove in a lot more. Right now I find myself reflecting and reconsidering to think about how much technology is ideal and how it varies by grade level.

If it was back at the start of the school year and I knew know what I knew then, I would have held off on the technology with 6th graders until I had a chance to really launch writing workshop and given my students ample opportunity to explore and experiment in their writer's notebooks, as well as building our sense of community as readers and writers. Though my 6th graders love utilizing the various tools in their Google Accounts, at times it seems like the technology has slowed down components of the classroom.

It is hard to know exactly when would be ideal to start layering in technology and to what extent, but I would focus first on building community and confidence in writing, as well instilling a passion for reading. I would focus on book letters and in class book talks vs. books read posts on their blogs. Then about mid-way through the year or toward the end of 6th grade I would start weaving in technology components. I would progressively weave in more as they transition to 7th and then to 8th grade.

With teaching it is natural to think about the concept of wishing for the return of the start of a school year in order to improve based on new learnings and understandings, but that would happen repeatedly even if re-starts were possible. Instead, we have to start sifting through long term thoughts for fresh starts for new years and improvements to implement in current school years. Thus, for the second half of this school year, I am still thinking through what would be an ideal balance, but for now I am backing off of the technology a bit.

I will still have my students type their final drafts on Google Docs (they get to choose whether to draft on the computer or paper) and we are doing some on-line multi-age book club discussions, so it is not like I am completely throwing out technology. The concept of balance, development and growth in the 6th-8th grade span will continue to be a main topic to ponder throughout the rest of the school year. With a strong focus on my top priorities, I will reflect on what is in the students' best interest in order to develop a life-long love of reading and writing, as well as the capabilities that will provide a strong foundation for future high school and college success.

No comments:

Post a Comment