Sunday, February 21, 2010

Jim Burke's Latest EC Ning Book Club

"Nobody works harder at learning than a curious kid" (p. 9). -Thomas Friedman

I was so excited to get a copy of Jim Burke's latest book What's the Big Idea? Question-Driven Units to Motivate Reading, Writing, and Thinking. Tonight I read the introduction and first chapter so that I could jump into the EC Ning Book Club discussion that has already taken off so much that I could not read through all of the comments. 

So far I absolutely love the book. It captures the spirit of learning that should be present in every classroom, the sense of inquiry and awe that drives learning. I found myself marking many pages and comments, considering how they could help shape my language arts curriculum and increase student motivation. 

It was also an inspiring book, making teachers consider how they can help all students reach high standards. Burke said, "Thus teachers are challenged to teach all students at a higher level, sometimes taking a rather circuitous route to get there but guided by the belief that students can get there if they follow our lead" (p. 7). The part of the book that I have read so far provides a great deal of examples on how to scaffold student learning and develop skills in higher order thinking. 

One of my favorite parts of the introduction and chapter one was an explanation and examples of a semester long inquiry project. Burke describes, "This semester-long investigation of these subjects amounts to a personal quest, an intellectual rite of passage for these students. It is time for them to take the reins of their own education for the moment, showing themselves and me not only what they have learned but also that they want to learn, that they have subjects they are hungry to know ore about as they prepare to leave my class" (pp. 39-40). Later he said, "All seniors have asked questions they want to understand but realize they will need their whole lives to answer" (p. 42). 

I look forward to reading the rest of the book and continuing to ponder how to inspire that sense of hunger and life-long investigation in my students. I remember my fascination with classics and classic remakes that was inspired by multiple high school and college teachers. I also think about many topics in education - interests that were sparked as an undergrad before I even stepped foot into the classroom in a teaching role that I continue to explore and consider years later. In both of these situations, I still have a high level of interest in continual discovery and refinement of understanding. 

Although Jim's example was for high school seniors, I am thinking about middle school applications and my students starting the journey of life-long inquiry topics. I am already excited for the investigations my students will come up with! 

Right now Heinemann is offering free shipping on the book until March 25th. If you order quickly you can have the book in time for part of the book discussion. Even if you don't have the book yet, there are many interesting thoughts on the discussion board. 

No comments:

Post a Comment