Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Everday Editing blog

Before I read Everyday Editing, I had looked at Jeff Anderson's website and followed the link to a blog, Notable Sentences...for Imitation and Creation, featuring great sentences that model various aspects of grammar to promote discussion and learning with students. Originally I thought it was Anderson's blog, but later realized that Lauren Wolter, was the mastermind behind the blog, creating a resource to help teachers network to compile sentences to then facilitate easier implementation of Anderson's ideas.

As I was reading Everyday Editing and saw how Anderson emphasized celebrating student discoveries and writing and then posting them around the room, I thought about how it would be empowering to add a section to also post them on our classroom blog. It would also be a working writing resource for students, as there will not be enough wall space to leave up what we post on the walls year round. This summer when I create our Edublog, I am thinking that I will have a tab with a framework similar to Wolter's where students can leave comments of sentences they find or create. I will start it out pretty basic and add in types of sentences as we introduce them in class. However, from the beginning I will have a category along the lines of amazing sentences so that students have a place to record sentences that really stand out to them even if it is not necessarily modeling one of the areas that we have discussed in class. This ties in well with the literature circles role of literary luminary.

There are so many reasons to be excited for the new school year!

No comments:

Post a Comment